I’m Felicia Garant, the founder and sole proprietor of Garant Consulting, LLC and Garant Fiduciary Services. I work with attorneys, trust companies and other professionals to help their clients administer estates and trusts.
We often see ordinary individuals who find themselves struggling with major life events, such as the death of a loved one, while having to take on unfamiliar fiduciary responsibilities of administering a trust or estate. I can help.
I work with an individual’s team of professionals, sharing my unique technical expertise drawn from over 25 years of experience in estate and trust administration to help our common client develop an efficient road map for administration and then assist with its execution.
In addition to working with a fiduciary to help the fiduciary meet his or her obligations, I can competently serve in the role of a duly appointed and qualified Trustee or Personal Representative.
In either situation I perform the hands-on, on-the-ground work needed to ensure efficient estate and trust administration in compliance with the governing documents and the laws.
During my career, I prepared hundreds of fiduciary tax returns of different types. Consequently, I perform all estate and trust administration tasks with an attention to the tax impact administration decisions will cause, and can prepare these types of tax returns as needed.
What separates me from other providers is my depth of expertise in this very specialized area shared at a competitive value-based rate. As a member of the professional services team, I can relieve some of the burden of navigating what to most people is unfamiliar territory in the world of trusts and estates. I help bring the pieces together.
I bring over 25 years’ experience in estate and trust administration and client service experience as a paralegal, Trust Officer, and Vice President/Director of Account Administration of a trust company in Portland that I helped build to approximately $1.2 Billion in assets under management. My most recent corporate experience was earned in a 22-month temporary position as a Vice President of Client Services for a Portland based investment management firm, providing business consultations, human resources, client and compliance services. I attend various seminars and workshops on the topics of fiduciary tax and laws governing estate and trust administration to maintain relevant skills and a high level of expertise.
During my career, I prepared hundreds of fiduciary tax returns of different types. Consequently, I perform all estate and trust administration tasks with an attention to the tax impact administration decisions will cause.
My education includes:
- Bates College, BA Psychology
- Husson University, Master’s of Science in Business
- Cannon School, Certificate in Fiduciary Taxation
- Husson University, Certificate in Project Management
- National Association of Legal Assistants, Certified Paralegal (CP)
- American Bankers Association’s Institute of Certified Bankers, Certified Trust and Financial Advisor (CTFA)
Additionally, my experience is rounded out by past and current service to various non-profit organizations:
- Secretary and Executive Committee member of the Association for Consulting Expertise (ACE)
- Board Chair and Director, Alzheimer’s Association, Maine, Board of Directors
- State of Maine Representative, U.S. Taxpayer Advocacy Panel, a Federal
- Director, National Association of Legal Assistants Inc. Board of Directors
- President, Maine Association of Paralegals
- Board Member, and Governance Committee Member, Homeless Animal Rescue Team (HART)
Please see my LinkedIn page to learn more about each organization and the
roles I have served.